The Fiery Risks of Space Heaters
With winter just around the corner here in Bayville, it is never too early to discuss the potential dangers of heating equipment (such as space heaters) and their association with house fires. While heating devices provide warmth and comfort during colder seasons, it is important to be aware of the risks they may pose. Improper use or neglect of heating equipment can result in devastating fires that not only endanger lives but also lead to fire damage to your home. Understanding the potential hazards and taking necessary precautions is crucial to ensure the safety of your home and loved ones. “Heating equipment caused one in six home structure fires (13%) that took place in 2016–2020 and 18% of home fire deaths. A vast majority of home heating fire deaths (88%) involved stationary or portable space heaters. Nearly half (46%) of all home heating fires occurred in January, February, and December” stated the National Fire Protection Association
Below are 6 Safety Tips provided by NFPA:
- Ensure that any flammable items are kept a minimum of three feet away from heating
- Create a safe perimeter of three feet around space heaters, ensuring that children are
kept away from these areas.
- It is crucial to have a certified professional install stationary space heating equipment
and central heating equipment in compliance with local codes and manufacturers’ instructions.
- Ensure that heating equipment undergo an annual inspection and cleaning conducted
by a qualified professional.
- Always remember to switch off portable heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.
- It is essential to use the designated fuel type specified by the manufacturer for fuel-
burning space heaters.
It is crucial to understand and respect the potential fire hazards associated with space heaters. By taking the necessary safety precautions and following best practices, we can enjoy the warmth they provide without putting ourselves or our surroundings at risk for a fire damage. By prioritizing fire safety, we can create a cozy and secure environment during the colder months.
SERVPRO of Toms River is here to help in the event of an emergency, don’t hesitate to reach out if you are in need of an expert or have any questions.
Stay warm and stay safe this winter!